Saturday, January 10, 2009

Undisciplined Devotion


I was watching SAKSI from a streaming site and I can't help but comment about the Black Nazarene Procession that is celebrated every year at Quiapo Church, Manila. In this occasion, millions of devotees endure claustrophobic situations and human stampede just to get a chance at touching the statue with their hankerchief , and/or be able to pull the carosa. In this event, hundreds, sometimes thousands, of people get injured. This year, about 200 people got injured. Luckily, unlike in previous years, no one died.

There were comments in the video I was watching debating on whether to be ashamed of this practice or not. I take the side of those ashamed. Don't get me wrong. I'm not ashamed of the devotion. I don't have anything about the devotion part. I actually admire them because, in these times when the economy is poor and finding some money for food is as difficult as enduring the Quiapo procession, they were still able to have a strong faith in God. My father also has a devotion to the Mother of Perpetual Help in Baclaran so I understand the feelings of these people. What I cannot understand (and what I am ashamed of) is the lack of discipline. Do they really need to push and injure each other? Is it the devotion or the violence that gives them hope? Its like the survival of the fittest in the Safari. In the Spanish times, this is valid. We are now in modern times. A system can be implemented (knock, knock people from the gov't) that can efficiently control the crowd so that all can wipe, touch or pull the carosa. A system that would be fair to everyone.

I admire devotion. But I'm tired of injuries and death. I honestly believe that even God might be looking at it the same way. Death or injuries in this is not doing it for God, it is doing it for ourselves. I'm ashamed because this shows a lot of ourselves as a Filipino. Even for this event we are undisciplined. In addition, those few who are disciplined enough, can't help it but be carried by the flow because they're stuck in the middle, pushed by the selfish, undisciplined people. I hope next year there would be fewer injuries. Fewer casualties. So that we can start focusing on achieving our goals rather than tending the wounded.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been an old system, what we see here. And changing it is similar to improving the Phil Constitution to fit this modern era. Mahirap pero kailangan para sa ikabubuti ng nakararami.

I agree with what you said, people (govt) should not merely just 'go with the flow' but instead implement means to improve 'the system!' Even if WE don't get to experience the convenience, at least we started doing something to prevent the future generations from suffering the same claustrophobic fate.

(This reminds me of Mang Mel's--the UP employee--case. The system...Don't worry. I won't start here. Har har!) Nice post btw.

BagofNips said...

salamat sa comment cookie.

i know mahirap. what i'm saying is that there might be a better way than this.Parang accepted na kasi yung fact na may mai-injure sa event na to. Yung fact na injuries are part of the tradition na.