Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Seven Pounds . . .


I am thankful I was very busy the night I decided to watch this film. I have a habit of checking movie information on google or wiki before watching a film. Kinda weird, I guess, but that's me. Anyway, I was busy that time so I did not check the details of the movie. Lucky for me since this movie is all about the "catch".

This movie is actually well made. Though it may have been a box-office hit. Probably because it was shown during the festive season, and frankly, this is not a movie that can make you feel the holiday cheer. This movie is about someone who due to guilt decided to end his life while making 7 people happy. The guilt was from being the person responsible for an accident that killed his fiancee along with 6 more people. The start to middle of the movie leaves one guessing what are the relationships of the characters to Tim's (Will Smith) life. By the middle of the film, you begin to connect the 911 call at the start of the movie and the movie title. This movie was nice, in my opinion. Though critics gave this low ratings. Well, they're professionals, I guess, so props for that. However, the sense of not knowing anything about the movie is important to the enjoyment of watching this.

However, a question I would ask (and I'm sure it has been asked a number of times) is do we see Tim as a hero for saving people's lives even if it means committing suicide? Do hopelessly depressed people have a justification to commit suicide if they can donate organs/help people in the process of doing so?

I'm not implying that the movie is morally wrong. This movie is a fictional story that made me think. In the world, suicide cases have risen in number noticeably. Depression is continually spreading like a plague. It made me think of a theory that depression might be the end of human race. The disease that would kill us all. Well if that ever happens, we Filipinos might be the one of the last race to perish.

And if we do perish, we might die laughing...

No comments: