Friday, March 27, 2009

Sino Iboboto mo?

With the upcoming Philippine 2010 elections, it is only normal in our beloved country to discuss candidates even if it's still more than a year before the actual elections. Potential candidates at this time would start "Stealth Campaigning" (although stealth is a fallacy, kapalmuks eh) to determine if they have the capability to fool... errrr... convince people that they are the right ones for the job. At this point, I haven't seen any candidates yet that could help my motherland gain her dignity back. Viewing the news and seeing these potential candidates do their PR things, I realized what my standards are for my chosen candidates. I remember Carlos P. Romulo. Now this guy is a true hero for me. If he had run today I would have voted for him.

Years ago I read an article about him from Reader's digest (1989) I was walking around the mall one day and bought those cheap reader's digest compilations from a second hand bookstore. It so happened an article of Romulo was there. There were some anecdotes and the one that really captured my mind was the story about the UN flag. It turned out that there is a "dot" in the UN flag that was supposed to be the Philippines due to the insistence of Carlos Romulo. Now that is what you call true love for country. Simple, yes, but so meaningful. That story told me to fight for your country's dignity, even in simple ways. If there is any candidate as nationalistic as him, I can be assured that our country will survive.

No comments: